Day Off/Time Off for Staff
As much as we love working with children, days off are definitely needed to re-charge our batteries. Each staff member will have six days off throughout the summer and three to four nights off during the week. We try to schedule a few day off trips, which in the past have included New York City with a Mets or Yankees game, Palisades Mall, concerts, Lake Superior Park, camping and rafting, and more. This is something camp does voluntarily and is strictly optional for the staff. There will be sign ups for these trips and the expenses can be deducted directly from your salary. Below you will see a list of other attractions you may want to visit on your time off.
Your nights off will begin at 9:30 p.m. and you must be back in your bunk by our 12:30 a.m. curfew. A few night-off favorites are: a shopping trip to Wal-Mart, grabbing a bite to eat at one of the local restaurants, indulging in some treats at Candy Cone (ice cream parlor), or just relaxing and hanging out in our staff lounge. We will try to set up weekly bus trips to Wal-Mart, but you must find your own transportation for other activities. Our staff lounge consists of a big screen TV with satellite television and DVD player, seven computers with internet access as well as Wi-fi, a pool table, and vending machines. Silver Lake also offers some staff sports games versus other camps.
DAY OFF ATTRACTIONS:
- Woodstock Museum and Bethel Woods Performing Arts Center
- Located just 5 minutes from camp, you can go to the original site of the Woodstock Festival in 1969. Enjoy the museum and history of the location. Bethel Woods Performing Arts Center is also a newly built Amphitheatre and home to many concerts throughout the summer months. www.bethelwoodscenter.org
- Lake Superior Park
- If you want to enjoy a relaxing day at the lake, Lake Superior Park is your best bet. Just 15 minutes from camp, it gives you a nice location to hang out with your friends and barbeque.
- Kiamesha Bowling Alley, and Wal-Mart
- 20 minutes away in the city of Monticello, you can have some fun bowling and do a little bit of shopping at Wal-Mart.
- Camping and Rafting on the Delaware River
- Located just 20 minutes away, Lander’s River Trips offers great camping and rafting opportunities on the Delaware River. www.landersrivertrips.com
- Only 45 minutes from camp, Middletown offers a large movie theatre, a mall, and many restaurants for you to get a good meal.
- Palisades Mall
- A great place to enjoy the day, Palisades Mall offers 4 floors of shopping stores, along with a large movie theatre, IMAX theatre, ice skating rink, Dave & Busters arcade, bowling alley, and a variety of restaurants. Palisades mall is about an hour and fifteen minutes from camp. www.palisadescenter.com
- Woodbury Commons
- A shoppers dream, Woodbury Commons is about an hour from camp and offers many different outlet / discount stores. Shops range from Nike to Gap to Ralph Lauren. www.premiumoutlets.com/woodburycommon
- New York City - Mets and Yankee Stadium
- Located only 2 hours from camp is New York City. You can enjoy a show, its historic sites, shopping, or even a baseball game. New York City has a lot to offer on a day off.
- Bushkill Falls
- The "Niagara of Pennsylvania,” Bushkill Falls, is among the Keystone State's most famous scenic attractions. This unique series of eight waterfalls, nestled deep in the wooded Pocono Mountains, is accessible through an excellent network of hiking trails and bridges which afford fabulous views of the falls and the surrounding forest. Bushkill Falls is an hour and a half from camp. www.visitbushkillfalls.com
- Mountain Creek Waterpark
- Located about an hour away, Mountain Creek Waterpark offers an exciting day off option. It offers many different water slides, flumes, and a lazy river. www.mountaincreekwaterpark.com